Volunteer Services at UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill is proud to work with undergraduate students each year who devote their time to helping our patients, families, and staff. Our goal is to offer meaningful and educational opportunities for college students while meeting the needs of our clinical departments. Volunteer placements are available for undergraduates throughout all of the Medical Center campus hospitals: Memorial, Children's, Women's, Neurosciences and the Cancer Hospitals, as well as off-site locations such as the Ambulatory Care Center, Meadowmont, WakeBrook, and Rehabilitation Clinics.
If you are interested in Hillsborough Hospital (also part of UNC Medical Center), please use the application associated with the Hillsborough Hospital link on the left.
Requirements and Application Process
Undergraduate Volunteers may apply during the designated application period prior to the start of each academic semester. All undergraduates must be able to commit to volunteering once weekly for two full semesters out of three academic semesters (Fall, Spring, both Summer Sessions). Freshmen or 1st year college students are NOT eligible to apply.
Steps to Apply:
- Submit undergraduate application for volunteering. Check out our Opportunities List prior to completing application.
- Once your application has been submitted, you will receive an immediate auto-response email to complete our online compliance modules, online volunteer orientation, and background screening ($15 fee).
- Review your immunization records and make arrangements to receive any additional vaccines or TB testing you may need. This Checklist lists all of the vaccines that are required to volunteer. Alternatively, you may have your medical provider complete the Physician Verification Form as proof of vaccination.
- After the application has been submitted, all these steps must be completed by December 27 to have a placement interview with your volunteer coordinator the week of January 10-14.
- Start volunteering the week of January 17, 2022.
Required Time Commitment
Applicants must be able to maintain a regular schedule consisting of at least one 2-3 hour shift per week. Undergraduate volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of 2 full semesters AND 50 hours of volunteering (25 hours each semester). If you are not available to volunteer consistently for the time frame described above, we ask that you not apply until you are available to fulfill this commitment.
Please contact Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.