UNC Medical Center is proud to work with hundreds of undergraduate students each year who devote their time to helping our patients, families, and staff. Our goal is to offer meaningful and educational opportunities for college students while meeting the needs of our clinical departments. Volunteer placements are available for undergraduates throughout all of the Medical Center campus hospitals.
Requirements and Application Process
Undergraduate Volunteers may apply only at the beginning of academic semesters. All undergraduates must be able to commit to volunteering once weekly for two consecutive semesters. 1st year freshmen are eligible to apply, but will have limited placement options. Freshman volunteer areas may include but are not limited to: flower and mail delivery, gift shop, nursing units and outpatient clinics.
Steps to Apply and Attend Orientation:
- Submit undergraduate application here for Fall 2018-Spring 2019 volunteering. All applications must be received by August 15th.
- Once your application has been submitted, you will hear from a volunteer coordinator within 72 hours. Prior to registering for orientation, you will need to complete our online compliance module. The link for the test will be provided immediately after you apply in your confirmation email as well as by your volunteer coordinator.
- Once your volunteer coordinator receives your compliance confirmation, you will receive information to register for orientation on either Wednesday August 22nd or Thursday August 23rd from 4:30-6:30pm at the Medical Center.
- Review your Immunization Records and make arrangements to receive any additional vaccines or TB testing you may need. This checklist lists all of the vaccines that are required to volunteer. Alternatively, you may have your medical provider complete this form as proof of vaccination. All of these vaccination requirements must be complete no later than September 7th. Please plan accordingly.
- Attend orientation.
- After orientation you will receive information to schedule a follow up appointment with your coordinator. All appointments will be held between 8/27 and 9/7. At this appointment you will turn in completed immunization records, receive your placement, and get your uniform/ID badge.
- Start Volunteering! Fall 2018- Spring 2019 volunteering dates are September 10th-December 7th and January 14th-April 26th. You are only excused from your weekly volunteer commitment for Fall break, Winter break and Spring break.