UNC Medical Center - Chapel Hill is proud to work with hundreds of undergraduate students each year who devote their time to helping our patients, families, and staff. Our goal is to offer meaningful and educational opportunities for college students while meeting the needs of our clinical departments. Volunteer placements are available for undergraduates throughout all of the Medical Center campus hospitals.
Requirements and Application Process
Undergraduate Volunteers may apply only at the beginning of academic semesters. All undergraduates must be able to commit to volunteering once weekly for two consecutive semesters. 1st year freshmen are eligible to apply, but will have limited placement options. Freshman volunteer areas may include but are not limited to: flower and mail delivery, gift shop, nursing units and outpatient clinics.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR UNDERGRADUATES APPLYING TO VOLUNTEER STARTING SPRING 2019.
Application is active from December 1st - December 28th
Compliance Test is due to Volunteer Services by January 2nd
Undergraduate Volunteer Orientation is January 10th (4:30pm - 6:30pm)
Interviews are between January 14th - January 25th
Spring 2019 Start Date for NEW Undergraduate Volunteers is January 22nd
Steps to Apply and Attend Orientation:
- Submit undergraduate application for Spring 2019-Fall 2019 volunteering. Check out our Opportunities List prior to completing application.
- Once your application has been submitted, you will hear from a volunteer coordinator by the end of the application period. Prior to registering for orientation, you will need to complete our online compliance module. The link for the test will be provided immediately after you apply in your confirmation email as well as by your volunteer coordinator.
- Once your volunteer coordinator receives your compliance confirmation, you will receive information to register for orientation on Thursday January 10th from 4:30-6:30pm at the Medical Center in Chapel Hill.
- Review your Immunization Records and make arrangements to receive any additional vaccines or TB testing you may need. This checklist lists all of the vaccines that are required to volunteer. Alternatively, you may have your medical provider complete this form as proof of vaccination. All of these vaccination requirements must be complete no later than January 14th. Please plan accordingly.
- Attend orientation.
- After orientation you will receive information to schedule a follow up appointment with your coordinator. All appointments will be held between 1/14 and 1/18. At this appointment you will turn in completed immunization records, receive your placement, and get your uniform/ID badge.
- Start Volunteering! You are only excused from your weekly volunteer commitment for Spring break.
Required Time Commitment
Applicants must be able to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis for 2-3 hours each week and to a minimum of 2 Semesters (Fall&Spring or Spring& Fall) AND 50 hours of volunteering. If you are not available to volunteer consistently for the time frame described above, we ask that you hold your application until you are available to fulfill this commitment.