UNC Medical Center - Chapel Hill is proud to work with hundreds of undergraduate students each year who devote their time to helping our patients, families, and staff. Our goal is to offer meaningful and educational opportunities for college students while meeting the needs of our clinical departments. Volunteer placements are available for undergraduates throughout all of the Medical Center campus hospitals.
Requirements and Application Process
Undergraduate Volunteers may apply during the designated application period prior to the start of each academic semester. All undergraduates must be able to commit to volunteering once weekly for two semesters out of three academic semesters each year (Fall, Spring, Both Summer Sessions). 1st year freshmen are NOT eligible to apply.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR UNDERGRADUATES APPLYING TO VOLUNTEER
Summer 2020 May 17th-July 26th
Applications are being accepted from March 2nd-April 22nd for Summer 2020.
Compliance Test and Background Check due to Volunteer Services by May 3rd
Undergraduate Volunteer Orientation May 7th (4:30pm - 6:30pm).
Must attend orientation.
Interviews May 11th-15th
Steps to Apply and Attend Orientation:
- Submit undergraduate application for volunteering. Check out our Opportunities List prior to completing application.
- Review your immunization records and make arrangements to receive any additional vaccines or TB testing you may need. This Checklist lists all of the vaccines that are required to volunteer. Alternatively, you may have your medical provider complete the Physician Verification Form as proof of vaccination. All of these vaccination requirements must be complete by your interview date. Please plan accordingly. Immunization records should be brought with you to your interview. DO NOT EMAIL your immunization records.
- Prior to registering for orientation, you will need to complete our online compliance module and criminal background screening ($15). These links will be provided immediately after you apply in your confirmation email as well as by your volunteer coordinator.
- Forward your compliance test confirmation email AND payment receipt for your background check to your volunteer coordinator. You will then be given information to register for orientation at the Medical Center in Chapel Hill.
- Attend orientation
- After orientation, you will receive information to schedule an interview with your coordinator. At your interview, you will turn in completed immunization records, receive your placement, and get your uniform/ID badge.
- Start Volunteering!
Required Time Commitment
Applicants must be able to maintain a regular schedule consisting of at least one 2-3 hour shift per week. Undergraduate volunteers commit to a minimum of 2 Semesters AND 50 hours of volunteering (25 Hours each semester). If you are not available to volunteer consistently for the time frame described above, we ask that you not apply until you are available to fulfill this commitment.