Due to Covid-19, all group volunteering is being paused at this time to ensure patient safety. Thank you for your patience.
If you would like to get your group involved in volunteering at the hospital, explore the available options UNC Medical Center's Volunteer Services has to offer. Please read the following requirements before completing an application. Our volunteer groups are invited to work in our Pediatric Play Atrium at the N.C. Children’s Hospital.
Check Available Times
We ask that a group leader view the calendar to find available dates for your event and allow at least two weeks for your application to be processed. Group shift times are 2pm-4pm 7 days and week and 6pm-8pm Monday-Friday. Weekend Pediatric Playroom times are available to non-local groups only.
Prior to completing a volunteer application form, please make sure your group can comply with all of our requirements. As most of our groups are affiliated with UNC-CH, groups must complete new applications each semester.
We encourage each member of the volunteer group to carefully review all requirements of the group volunteer program.
- If you are interested in volunteering in the Pediatric Play Atrium, please visit the calendar to view the available dates and times.
- No more than six volunteers will be accommodated for each shift at the Pediatric Play Atrium.
- Groups may schedule a max of 8 dates per semester.
- We ask that individuals only volunteer once a semester.
- The group leader must complete the online application.
- You will receive confirmation by email after your activity time and activity are approved.
- Each group member must complete the following steps unless they are a UNC Health Care Employee or current UNC Volunteer. Employees and Volunteers must have IDs.
- Complete the HIPAA Training. If you have any issues, please try using Internet Explorer. You will receive a confirmation email. Print this email and bring it with you to the playroom.
- Print and sign the Pediatric Playroom Contract
- Please bring your printed HIPAA Confirmation and Group Contract forms to the Play Atrium on the day you volunteer.
- Volunteering in the Play Atrium requires a planned arts and crafts activity other than coloring books, board games or reading books.
- For ideas, check out these arts and crafts activities.
- Groups that do not bring an approved activity may not be allowed to stay during their shift
- Pediatric Play Atrium volunteers need to meet at the Children's Hospital Information Desk 15 minutes prior to their scheduled volunteer time to pick up a visitor's pass. We ask that the entire group remain throughout the planned activity.
- If your group is unable to attend their scheduled time, then please call the Play Atrium to cancel. If the group is a "no show" twice, then the group will be removed from the calendar for the remainder of the semester.
UNC Health Care Policy Rules
- Volunteers are not permitted to take photographs of any patient.
- Volunteers are not permitted to bring any type of food to patients.
- Volunteers must have graduated from high school and be at least eighteen years old.
- Volunteers are not allowed to plan activities that are religious in nature.