UNC Hospital’s Department of Audiology provides a full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services to inpatient and outpatient populations.
Our department consists of 13 audiologists who work collaboratively with UNC's Department of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, all with the common mission to provide outstanding hearing care to all of our patients and their families. Our services are available at two convenient locations: the N.C. Neurosciences Hospital located on the main hospital campus, and our satellite clinic, the UNC Hospitals Hearing and Voice Center at Carolina Crossing.
UNC Rehabilitation Therapies Student Orientation Manual Audiology
UNCH Student Affiliation Agreement
The Department of Audiology at UNC Hospitals offers 12 month, full-time 4th year AuD externship(s) providing AuD students a well-rounded experience with the opportunity to work with a wide variety of patient populations with a range of hearing disorders. Externship opportunities are available at the main campus location – Neurosciences as well as our off-campus satellite clinic - UNC Hospitals Hearing and Voice Center at Carolina Crossing.
Our Neurosciences location externship(s) focus on pediatrics including diagnostic assessment of children from infancy through the teen years and amplification/treatment of hearing loss.
UNC Hospitals: Pediatrics Externship
- Start/End date: flexible, ~June 1st
- Number of positions anticipated for next year: 1
- Contact Person: Patricia Roush, AuD
- Caseload/responsibilities: All pediatrics, includes Diagnostic assessment of children from infancy through the teen years; hearing aid selection fitting (no CI); full supervision with increasing independence
- Application process: Our application process has been closed for 2019-2020. Please check back for application deadline for 2020-2021.
UNC Hospitals Hearing & Voice Center at Carolina Crossing:
Our Carolina Crossing location externship(s) focus on adult hearing aids and cochlear implants in addition to diagnostic assessment of adult and pediatric outpatient populations.
- Adult Audiology Services
- Adult Cochlear Implant
- Start/End date: ~June 1st, flexible
- Number of positions anticipated for next year: 2
- Contact Person: English R. King, AuD
- Caseload/responsibilities: Applicants can expect a well-rounded placement, offering experience with both pediatric and adults patients. Full supervision with increasing independence. This 4th year position offers experience in the following areas:
- Adult Cochlear Implant Program: patients are evaluated to determine candidacy for cochlear implantation. Patients undergoing cochlear implantation receive extensive pre-operative counseling and post-operative care. In addition, our adult cochlear implant program is actively involved in clinical research.
- Adult Hearing Aid Dispensing Program: patients are evaluated to determine candidacy for amplification and are counseled regarding current hearing aid technology. Patients undergoing fitting of hearing aids receive extensive counseling and follow-up care.
- ENT coverage / Diagnostics: the Department of Audiology works collaboratively with attending physicians and residents from UNC's Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery to provide audiology diagnostic evaluations for adult and pediatric outpatient populations with a wide variety of hearing disorders in a high-paced environment.
- Application process:
- Our application process has been closed for 2019-2020. Please check back for application deadline for 2020-2021.