UNC Hospital’s Department of Audiology provides a full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services to inpatient and outpatient populations.
Our department consists of 19 audiologists who work collaboratively with UNC's Department of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, all with the common mission to provide outstanding hearing care to all of our patients and their families. Our department's services are currently offered at four clinical locations: N.C. Children's Hospital, UNC Hospitals Audiology at Meadowmont, UNC Hospitals Hearing & Voice Center at Carolina Crossing and UNC Hospitals Audiology at Pittsboro. We are expanding our footprint in North Carolina with a new clinic in Wake County (anticipated opening July 2020), and UNC Hospitals Audiology at Lake Boone Trail.
The Department of Audiology at UNC Hospitals offers 12 month, full-time 4th year AuD externship(s) providing AuD students a well-rounded experience with the opportunity to work with a wide variety of patient populations with a range of hearing disorders. Externship opportunities are available with a pediatric focus at our N.C. Children's Hospital and Meadowmont locations, as well as an adult focus at our Carolina Crossing and Pittsboro locations.
Pediatric Focused Externships
Our N.C. Children's Hospital and Meadowmont locations externships focus on pediatrics, including diagnostic assessment of children from infancy through the teen years and amplification/treatment of hearing loss.
- Start/End date: mid-May, flexible
- Number of positions anticipated for next year: 2
- Contact Person: Patricia Roush, AuD
- Caseload/responsibilities: All pediatrics, includes diagnostic assessment of children from infancy through the teen years; hearing aid selection fitting (no CI); full supervision with increasing independence
- Application process: Our application process is for 2020-2021. Please check with UNC Careers in Fall 2020 for information and postings for 2021-2022.
Adult Focused Externships:
Our Carolina Crossing and Pittsboro locations externship(s) focus on adult hearing aids and cochlear implants in addition to diagnostic assessment of adult and pediatric outpatient populations.
- Adult Audiology Services
- Adult Cochlear Implant
- Start/End date: mid-May, flexible
- Number of positions anticipated for next year: 3
- Contact Person: Andrea Bucker, AuD
- Caseload/responsibilities: Applicants can expect a well-rounded placement, offering experience with both pediatric and adults patients. Full supervision with increasing independence. This 4th-year position offers experience in the following areas:
- Adult Cochlear Implant Program: patients are evaluated to determine candidacy for cochlear implantation. Patients undergoing cochlear implantation receive extensive pre-operative counseling and post-operative care. In addition, our adult cochlear implant program is actively involved in clinical research.
- Adult Hearing Aid Dispensing Program: patients are evaluated to determine candidacy for amplification and are counseled regarding current hearing aid technology. Patients undergoing fitting of hearing aids receive extensive counseling and follow-up care.
- ENT coverage / Diagnostics: the Department of Audiology works collaboratively with attending physicians and residents from UNC's Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery to provide audiology diagnostic evaluations for adult and pediatric outpatient populations with a wide variety of hearing disorders in a high-paced environment.
- Application process:
- Our application process is for 2020-2021. Please check with UNC Careers in Fall 2020 for information and postings for 2021-2022.