If you are interested in becoming a visiting resident at UNC, please read and complete the following steps. Plan to begin a minimum of 12 weeks prior to your proposed start date to complete the necessary paperwork and get everything approved from the institution and the North Carolina Medical Board, especially if you are coming from out of state.
Your first step is to contact the individual program that you are interested in joining to determine if they will accept you and to confirm the dates of the visiting residency.
- Download and complete the Visiting Resident Application. Send the completed form to your UNC Program Coordinator. Submit the completed application immediately so the GME Office can begin processing it - do not wait to complete the rest of the application process.
- Contact Kathryn Hill in the GME Office to create a Letter of Agreement for your institution, as only the UNC Letter of Agreement template will be accepted.
- Apply for a North Carolina License
- If you do not already have a North Carolina Medical Board License (Resident Training License or Full), go to www.ncmedboard.org for the application AND contact your Program Coordinator for further assistance. Again, please allow at least 12 weeks for the NCMB license application process.
- Complete the following forms and return them to the appropriate GME Specialist listed on the GME Staff Directory page.
Learning Management System
You will be required to complete modules in our online learning system. You will receive an email from the UNC Information Services Division a few weeks after your application is processed containing a sign-on, password and link to the website. At this time, you will receive instructions on how to access and take the required modules.
Please note that UNC Hospitals requires all visiting residents to be fully trained in relevant EPIC@UNC systems before they can begin clinical work. Questions about the exact training requirements should be directed to the Program Coordinator for the program you will be visiting.
If you have any other questions, please contact the GME Office.