Apply for Clinical Pastoral Education
For intern and resident applications, UNC accepts the standard ACPE application, which is downloadable here. Persons interested in Certified Educator CPE can read more about that process below. Applications can be faxed to: 919-843-0330, mailed, or e-mailed the following address:
Clinical Pastoral Education Program
Department of Pastoral Care
101 Manning Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
When emailing your application, our preference is to receive application materials in .pdf format.
UNC uses a rolling admissions policy. Students are encouraged to apply early as applications are taken until the unit is full. The application fee is $25, and can be submitted with your application. Make checks out to UNC Hospitals.
The application deadline for the residency program is December 31st.
Interviews are scheduled from December through February, and decisions are made mid-February. The application fee is $25, and can be submitted with your application. Make checks out to UNC Hospitals.
UNC's Clinical Pastoral Education programs are competitive. The following are tips for completing your application:
- Each essay question should not exceed 5 pages; however, a paragraph or two per question typically will not be long enough.
- Be courageous when considering which information to disclose. Remember, this is not a job you are applying for, but rather an opening in a specialized ministry preparation/development program.
- The helping incident you select to write about is often enhanced by writing dialogue in a verbatim form. You will also want to include a personal reflection paragraph or two at the end.
- Clear and concrete goals for ministry development are preferable to vague, abstract philosophies.
The CPE Interview
If you are invited for an interview at UNC Hospitals, you will be contacted by an ACPE Certified Educator to schedule the interview. You are encouraged to be 5-10 minutes early for your interview. Directions and parking information will be included with the interview confirmation email. We are typically able to reimburse your parking.
During the interview, you will be asked questions based upon your application. Interviewers may be the CPE faculty, staff chaplains, and other members of the professional advisory group associated with the CPE programs at UNC Hospitals. Interviews typically last about one hour.
Multiple factors go into the decision to accept or decline applicants. UNC Hospitals' CPE programs do not discriminate against any person on any grounds, and make every attempt to be inclusive and seek diversity in each training group. Depending upon the timeline for applicants and the beginning dates for a particular unit of training, it may be several weeks (or less) before all decisions about the upcoming training groups are made.
Certified Educator CPE Applications
The ACPE Certification Process has two parts to the admission process:
- Part One: Application and acceptance to a local ACPE Accredited Center
- Part Two: Application and acceptance to become a Certified Educator Candidate with ACPE
Applicants may begin the process by downloading and completing the Application for Certified Educator Programs (be careful to choose the Certified Educator program form, not the traditional CPE form) from the ACPE website. The first page of the form should be completed and emailed to UNC Hospitals at the address above and to the national office, per the instructions contained in the application. Upon receipt, the national office will send the applicant information about setting up the portfolio to upload their responses to the questions on page two of the application.
For a more detailed overview of this process, visit the ACPE website.