Thank you for choosing UNC Health Care to meet your health care needs. UNC Health Care is proud of its long history of providing health care services to all North Carolinians. We are committed to the continued availability of financial assistance programs designed to relieve the financial burden of medically necessary health care services for those who need them most.
If you want to learn more or have questions about our Financial Assistance program, please contact us toll-free at (866) 704-5286 or email us at UNCFAU@unchealth.unc.edu.
To request Financial Assistance, sign in to My UNC Chart and select Billing at the top.
Need Help With Healthcare Expenses?
We ask each patient to actively participate with all financial assistance efforts by:
- Discussing financial status with a financial counselor
- Setting up and maintaining payment plans
- Seeking all methods of coverage such as plans available through the Affordable Care Act
- Applying for Disability/Medicaid (Medicaid eligibility screening and application assistance available for uninsured patients by calling (984) 974-0950).
The 40% uninsured discount is automatically extended to patients that may not be able to access or afford US medical insurance, either individually or through their employer.
Charity Care Program
The Charity Care Program insures that all eligible individuals receive medically necessary care at participating UNC Health Care entities regardless of their ability to pay. The program is available for patients with a household income of at or below 250% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for their family size.
Am I eligible for Charity Care?
If you can answer yes to all of the following questions and would like to apply for Charity Care, see an Admissions or Front Desk Representative, or call the Financial Assistance Unit toll-free at 866.704.5286.
1. Are you a North Carolina resident?
2. For your family size, does your household income fall at or below the amount listed below?
||Household Income Limit
An application and/or copy of the Financial Assistance Policy may be obtained at your hospital’s Admissions/Registration Office or by sending a request to Financial Assistance Unit, 500 Eastowne Drive, 2nd floor, Chapel Hill, NC 27514.
Help with completing the application can be provided by a Financial Counselor in a hospital clinic or by calling the Financial Assistance Unit at the number above.
Charity Care Guidelines
Charity Care is applied after all insurance and/or other financial benefits, including but not limited to State and Federal assistance programs, and charitable or endowment funding. Charity Care is available only for medical services that are reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis and treatment of illness or injury. Eligible individuals may not be charged more than amounts generally billed for emergency or other medically necessary care. Services that are considered cosmetic or patient convenience do not qualify for Charity Care.
Charity Care Copayments
All patients approved for Charity Care are asked to pay copayments of at least $10 per clinic visit or lab or x-ray, $50 per emergency department visit, $75 per ambulatory surgery visit and $100 per inpatient admission. If you have insurance in addition to Charity Care, the copayment applied by your insurance company will be expected instead of the Charity Care copayment.
UNC Health Care complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al:
ATTENTION: Si vous parlez français, des services d'aide linguistique vous sont proposés gratuitement. Appelez le:
- UNC Hospitals; UNC Faculty Physicians; Chatham Hospital; UNC REX Healthcare: 984-974-5006
- Caldwell Memorial Hospital: 828-292-0174
- Henderson County Hospital Corp (d/b/a Margaret R. Pardee Memorial Hospital): 828-696-4644
- Johnston Health Services (d/b/a Johnston Health): 919-934-8171
- Nash Health Care: 252-962-8000
- UNC Physicians Network; UNC Physicians Network Group Practices: 984-215-4056
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 336-520-7592
- Wayne Memorial Hospital (d/b/a Wayne UNC Health Care): 919-736-1110
Financial Assistance Summary
Financial Assistance Policy
Financial Assistance Application
*UNC Health Care reserves the right to amend the policies and procedures set forth on this page at its sole and absolute discretion. The existence of these policies and procedures does not create any legal right for the benefit of any person. In short, while UNC Health Care remains committed to helping those in need, it must reserve its right to adapt its policies and procedures as circumstances warrant. UNC Health Care Patient Financial Services will make ultimate decisions regarding the application of these policies and procedures.