Pregnancy & Parenting Classes
Take part in pregnancy and parenting classes at UNC Medical Center to help prepare for the arrival of your baby. Discover what to expect during pregnancy, prepare for childbirth, and learn how to feed your baby.
Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, we are postponing all of our in-person Prepared Childbirth Classes until further notice. We will continue to offer Online learning options and will try to expand these as we move forward. You may contact us at Stork@unchealth.unc.edu. Thank you for your understanding.
When to Take Classes
Participate in classes anytime during your pregnancy. We recommend taking childbirth classes during your third trimester so the information is fresh in your mind when you deliver your baby. Enroll early. Classes fill up quickly.
Learn from Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educators (LCCE) who provide ongoing support and resources to help you prepare for a positive birth and parenting experience. You’ll appreciate your instructor’s interest in helping you achieve your preferred birth plan.
Participate in courses offered at UNC Medical Center and online, including:
- 4th Trimester: Life with a Newborn – Learn about what to expect with a newborn and how to soothe your baby and help them sleep safely
- Boot Camp for New Dads (Now Virtual) – Learn from “veteran” dads on how to change diapers, comfort crying babies, and support mom
- Breastfeeding (Now Virtual) – Learn how to breastfeed successfully.
- Choosing and Using Childcare – Get help finding quality childcare for infants, toddlers, and school-age children. Only Webinar
- CPR for Family and Friends – Get trained on proper CPR techniques for infants, children, and adults
- Prepared Childbirth Classes – Helps you understand pregnancy, labor, and helpful techniques for comfort. Only eclass
- Refresher Course Now Virtual
- Sibling Class and Birth Center Tour – Prepares your older children for the birth of their sibling. Not available until further notice
- Sign Language for Budding Babies (Now virtual) – Get trained on the basics of American Sign Language (ASL) to help you communicate with your baby.
- Support groups, including M.O.M. (Mentoring Other Mothers) and Parents Networking Group. Virtually connected.
- Infant & Child Safety eclass Comprehensive class that shows how to keep your children safe and to childproof your home
Learn what to expect when you deliver your baby at UNC Medical Center by touring the birth center. You’ll get the chance to ask questions about the birth center and see the labor and delivery rooms along with the postpartum unit. Only virtual tours until further notice.
Depending on the class you take, you may have a course fee. Payment is due before the start of class. Pay online with a credit card or choose the “Send me an invoice/Bill me” option to pay by check.
Write your check out to UNC Hospitals and mail it to:
Women’s Health Information Center, CB 7600
101 Manning Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Class Cancellation Policies
If you’re no longer able to attend a class, we can help you find another date that works for you. If your class cancels due to weather, you’ll receive a notification by phone or email.
You may request a refund before your class start date. You’ll pay a $5 service fee for classes $35 or less, and $10 for courses over $35. If you’re taking a class series and deliver your baby before the series is over, we’ll refund a portion of your registration fee.
Receiving a Refund
If you paid by credit card, allow 4 to 5 business days to see your refund on your statement. If you paid by check, you’ll receive a check in the mail within six weeks of your request.