Get maternity care at UNC Medical Center that helps you and your baby stay as safe, healthy, and comfortable before, during, and after birth.
What’s an Obstetrician-Gynecologist (OB-GYN)?
An obstetrician-gynecologist is a doctor who specializes in the female reproductive system and specializes in pregnancy care to help women during pregnancy, childbirth, and recovery.
Benefit from care that puts you and your baby’s health first. Depend on your care team to answer your questions, respect your values, and follow your birth plan as closely as possible.
When to See an OB
Rely on your OB for:
- Genetic counseling – Assesses the risk of passing on inheritable diseases to your baby
- Preconception health – Protects and monitors your health before pregnancy
- Pregnancy care – Monitors your health and your baby’s growth and development
- Prenatal diagnosis – Detects if your baby has a problem before birth
- Labor and delivery services – Support during childbirth to help carry out your birth plan
- Postpartum care – Manages your physical and emotional health after delivery
Birth Care Center
When you partner with a UNC Medical Center OB, you’ll deliver your baby at our welcoming birth care center.
Postpartum Care & Support
Turn to your OB to help you:
- Recover from delivery
- Adjust to life with your newborn
- Evaluate risk and get care for postpartum depression (PPD)