When you have liver failure, your liver becomes too diseased to fight infections, clean your blood and aid food digestion. You may be considering an evaluation for a liver transplant. The idea of a transplant can seem overwhelming. At UNC Medical Center, we partner with you to ease some of the anxiety and ensure you feel informed and involved in your care process.
You are in exceptionally skilled hands with our team. We have done more than 1,190 liver transplants since our program began in 1991, giving us a high level of transplant expertise.
Watch our patient education class video on liver transplant below:
Liver Transplants at UNC Medical Center: Why Choose Us?
At UNC Medical Center, we care for you like family, taking time to get to know you and offering you personalized attention.
You also benefit from:
- Nationally recognized expertise: Our liver transplant program has received several awards from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. We are also recognized by OptumHealth as a Center of Excellence and by Blue Cross Blue Shield as a Blue Distinction Center.
- Wide range of services: The UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center has the state’s largest liver cancer treatment program. Our transplant team partners with cancer experts (oncologists) and UNC liver specialists (hepatologists) to provide comprehensive treatments. We are actively involved in clinical trials to find new treatments for cirrhosis, hepatitis and other liver diseases.
- More donor options: With your consent, we transplant livers from people diagnosed with hepatitis C. After transplant, you undergo treatment to eliminate the virus, ensuring there are no long-term adverse health effects. We can also transplant a liver along with a heart, kidney or lungs. Find out more about getting a liver transplant.
- Ongoing support: You receive continuous help from our dedicated patient support team. This team includes a transplant coordinator who assists you and your family throughout surgery and beyond.
Liver Transplant Services
We designed our liver transplant program with your comfort and healing in mind. We offer:
- Operating rooms equipped for liver transplant surgery
- Transplant-specific intensive care unit staffed by nurses trained in transplant care
- UNC liver clinics in Asheville, Greenville, Raleigh and Wilmington for convenient pre- and post-surgical medical services
- Therapies through UNC Health Care’s rehabilitation services or with your local provider to improve strength and stamina
Pediatric Liver Transplants
Infants, children and teens who need liver transplants require a high level of specialized care. Your family is in skilled, capable hands at our pediatric liver transplant program. We provide care and support throughout the transplant process. When your child is ready, we help ease the transition into our adult transplant program.
Call (919) 966-2516 to find out more about liver transplants at UNC Medical Center.
Referring physicians: Dial option 1
Patients: Dial option 5. Your physician has to send a referral for you to be evaluated for a liver transplant.