At the Center for Rehabilitation Care, we have certified LSVT LOUD Speech-Language Pathologists that have been trained to improve vocal loudness by stimulating the muscles of the larynx (i.e. voice box) and speech mechanism through a systematic hierarchy of exercises in individuals with Parkinson’s disease.
The LSVT programs have been developed and researched over the past 20 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health. The intensity of therapy is based on theories of motor learning, skill acquisition, and neuroplasticity (the ability of the nervous system to change in response to stimuli). The treatment not only simulates the motor system, but also incorporates sensory awareness training to help individuals with PD recognize that their voice is too soft and that their “new” louder voice is within normal limits, and adjusting comfortably to this new voice. LSVT LOUD improves breathing, laryngeal and articulatory function to maximize speech intelligibility. Research shows that improvements have lasted up to two years after treatment.
LSVT LOUD STANDARDIZED TREATMENT
- LSVT LOUD is done by a certified Speech-Language Pathologist in LSV
- 16 sessions Total: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks or 16 sessions in one month
- Individual 1 hour sessions
- Daily homework practice (2x per day on a non- therapy day and 1x per day on a therapy day)
WHAT TO EXPECT WITH LSVT LOUD:
- If you are an appropriate candidate for LSVT, your appointments will be scheduled after the evaluation is completed. LSVT appointments may be with any of the certified LSVT Therapists in our clinic
- Bring water for hydration