At the Center for Rehabilitation Care, we have certified LSVT BIG clinicians, both Occupational and Physical Therapists, that have been LSVT trained to improve limb and body movement in individuals with Parkinson’s disease.
The LSVT programs have been developed and researched over the past 20 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health. The intensity of therapy is based on theories of motor learning, skill acquisition, and neuroplasticity (the ability of the nervous system to change in response to stimuli). LSVT BIG has improved motor functioning in people with Parkinson’s disease after treatment. Treatment helped people walk faster with bigger steps, improve balance and trunk rotation, as well as demonstrate greater independence with performance of daily activities.
LSVT BIG Standardized Treatment:
- LSVT BIG is done by a certified Physical Therapist, Physical Therapy Assistant or Occupational Therapist in LSVT
- 16 sessions Total: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks or 16 sessions in one month
- Individual 1 hour sessions
- Daily homework practice (2x per day on a non- therapy day and 1x per day on a therapy day)
What To Expect With LSVT BIG:
- If you are an appropriate candidate for LSVT, your appointments will be scheduled after the evaluation is completed. LSVT appointments may be with any of the certified LSVT Therapists in our clinic
- If a combined LSVT BIG OT/PT program is recommended, you will be scheduled 2 times per week for OT and a separate 2 days per week for PT
- Wear moveable, comfortable clothes
- Bring water for hydration