Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
For more than 50 years, UNC has been leading the way in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Our providers are highly qualified and internationally recognized for their expertise in handling even the most complex cases. They specialize in implant surgery, jaw tumors and disease, trauma surgery, cleft palates, facial cosmetic surgery and much more.
Together, our providers' cutting edge research has been published nearly 900 times. When they are not treating patients, they are training future oral and maxillofacial surgeons. In fact, students over the last 15 years have enjoyed a 100 percent success rate on their board exams after graduation.
As your patient advocate team, our surgeons are focused on getting you the right help when you need it and providing relevant information so you and your health care team fully understand your treatment plan.
Most patients seek the care of an oral and maxillofacial surgeon when their primary care doctor, specialist doctor, or primary dentist sees the need for expert surgical consultation. At UNC, we are always willing to help you determine if your case or situation is appropriate for our surgeons.
Services We Offer
Our oral and maxillofacial surgeons provide the full range of care for adults and children. They will work with you to plan treatment and surgical care that is specifically tailored to you. Learn more about their specialties below:
- Craniofacial Surgery: syndromes and conditions affecting the soft tissue and skeleton.
- Orthognathic Surgery: jaw deformities to correct bite problems, crooked and malformed jaws, and facial deformities.
- Jaw Tumors and Diseases: diagnosis and surgical management of all types of diseases, cysts and tumors in the jaws and oral cavity.
- Wisdom teeth extractions: routine removal of wisdom teeth with options for sedation.
- Implant Surgery and Grafting Procedures: implant placement and planning, including complete mouth rehabilitation with implants and grafting.
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery: expertise in all facets of facial aesthetic surgery and medicine including facelifts, eyelid surgery, lip surgery and in non-invasive procedures such as fillers and botox.
- Facial Gender Affirmation Surgery: full scope of facial gender affirmation procedures for male-to-female and female-to-male transitioning patients, including osteoplasty, facial implants, and facial recontouring.
- Pediatric Maxillofacial Surgery: jaw disease, cleft lip and palate, craniofacial abnormalities, cysts, tumors, facial trauma and dental extractions.
- Trauma Surgery: full scope of care for victims of trauma to the face including orbits, cheek bones, jaw bones and skin lacerations.
- TMJ Surgery: surgical management of TMJ pathology, including joint replacement.
First in Care. For the People.
As the first dental school in the state, the oral and maxillofacial surgeons at the UNC Adams School of Dentistry have been caring for the oral health of North Carolinians for more than 50 years.
With our oral and maxillofacial surgery experts, you're always at the center of care. You can expect a treatment plan that's tailored to you and backed by decades of expertise in a wide scope of procedures and specialties only available at an academic health care center.
That's why we're first in care, for the people.