Live better when you get weight-loss surgery at UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill. At our academic medical center, you’ll find all the specialists and top-quality care you need before and after surgery. And you’ll work with a friendly team of experts who can help you achieve the best possible results.
Benefits of Weight-Loss Surgery
Any type of weight-loss surgery at UNC Medical Center can help you live longer and manage or cure many weight-related conditions, including:
After weight-loss surgery, you may also experience less depression and anxiety, more self-esteem and a better quality of life.
Center of Excellence
Feel confident in our care because the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program accredited UNC Medical Center as a comprehensive center for weight-loss surgery. The accreditation means you benefit from:
- Board-certified, fellowship-trained bariatric surgeons who have performed thousands of successful procedures
- Imaging and surgical tools tailored to your needs
- Strict safety measures
- A well-rounded support team of bariatric specialists, including:
- Tara Zychowicz, NP, ASMBS Member
- Lisa Prestia, RN, certified bariatric nurse, clinical program director
- Jillian Hyttenhove, clinical dietitian
- Susan Strom, clinical dietitian
- Christine M. Peat, Ph.D., LP, psychologist
- Catherine Forneris, PhD, ABPP, psychologist
- Camden Matherne, PhD, LP, psychologist
UNC Medical Center also is a Blue Distinction Center+ for gastric stapling. So you can trust us for:
- Complete care that costs less
- Lower complication rates
- Fewer hospital readmissions
Getting Weight-Loss Surgery
Find out if bariatric surgery is right for you. Then, take the first steps with our supportive team by your side. Learn what to expect on the day of surgery, and explore how our follow-up care helps you and other successful patients achieve their long-term goals.