Employees have 30 days beginning with the effective date of the status change to make changes to their benefits. This status change will affect benefits as follows:
Contributions to retirement is a mandatory 6% of salary and elections must be made within 60 days of the effective date of your change in status. Employees have a choice between two major retirement plans:
The ORP is a “defined contribution” plan. In this it differs from TSERS, which is a “defined benefit” plan.
Employees may also elect to participate in a Supplemental Retirement Account such as a 401(k) or 457 Plan. For more information and a list of approved vendors, see Supplemental Retirement Plans. To open a Supplemental Retirement Account, employees should contact their vendor of choice.
Employees may elect to cover themselves, their spouse and any eligible dependent children by completing the form below. Coverage is available either on the first of the first month following the status change date, or the first of the second month following the status change date. Premiums are deducted on a pre-tax basis and are deducted one month prior to the effective date of coverage. If necessary, the system will catch up the employee’s premium by deducting the needed amount from their first available paycheck. Depending on the requested start date and the current payroll schedule, there may be as much as two months’ premiums paid from one's paycheck so employees are encouraged to plan accordingly.
Please note that Dental coverage is not provided through the State Health Plan. Employees who desire dental benefits should enroll in the NCFlex Dental plan.
- The Retirement System provides a Death Benefit equal to one times the employee’s salary after one year of contributions. Employees may visit www.MyNCRetirement.com for details.
- Employees may elect group term life insurance through Metropolitan Life for themselves, their spouse and eligible dependent children. Deductions are taken on a post-tax basis, and the coverage is effective the first of the second month following the status change. To enroll, employees must complete the form online at http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits. Employees enrolling within 30 days of their status change may elect up to two times salary coverage on a pre-approved basis.
- Disability coverage through the Disability Income Plan of North Carolina will begin after one year of contributions to the TSERS or ORP. Employees may visit www.MyNCRetirement.com for details.
- Liberty Mutual Supplemental Disability coverage is now available. This after-tax plan is designed to coordinate with the TSERS coverage, and is effective on the first of the second month following the status change. For coverage and premium information, see Disability Income Plans. To enroll, employees must complete the following Enrollment Application.
- The Standard Supplemental Disability plan is now available if you are an enrolled participant of the ORP. This after tax plan is designed to coordinate with the DIP coverage and is effective on the first of the second month following the status change. For coverage and premium information, see Disability Income Plans. To enroll, employee must complete the online enrollment application through Retirement Plan Enrollment System.
- Under the North Carolina Flexible Benefits Plan, employees may elect to participate in the Health Care and/or Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Accounts, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Cancer Insurance and the ING Term Life Insurance. Deductions for these plans are taken on a pre-tax basis. The effective date for all flexible benefits is the first of the month following the employee’s status change date.
- To enroll, employees must visit the NCFlex enrollment Web site at eEnroll or call 1-855-859-0966. For coverage and premium information, please visit the NCFlex information Web site at www.NCFlex.org. Employees who do not enroll within 30 days of their status change will need to wait until the next NCFlex Annual Enrollment, at which time waiting periods may apply.
Note: Access to the Web site may be unavailable until the status change is processed, usually within 10 days after the change.
- Visit the MetLaw page to read about this plan and enroll. Employees who do not enroll within 30 days of their status change will need to wait until the next MetLaw Annual Enrollment.
All completed forms should be mailed to Employee Benefits at the address below. Employees may contact the Benefits office by phone at 984-974-1100 or by e-mail if they have questions regarding benefits as they relate to this status change.
1025 Think Place, Suite 400
Morrisville, NC 27560
Please remember, any changes to these benefits must be initiated within 30 days of the status change.