Employees have 30 days beginning with the effective date of the status change to make changes to their benefits. This status change will affect the benefits as follows:
Contributions to retirement is a mandatory 6% of salary and elections must be made within 60 days of the effective date of your change in status. Employees have a choice between two major retirement plans:
The ORP is a “defined contribution” plan. It differs from TSERS, which is a “defined benefit” plan.
Employees may also elect to participate in a Supplemental Retirement Account such as a 401(k) or 457 Plan. For more information and a list of approved vendors, see Supplemental Retirement Plans. To open a Supplemental Retirement Account, employees should contact their vendor of choice.
- Health Insurance under the State Health Plan is now available at full-time employee rates. If currently enrolled, premiums will update automatically. Employees may add or drop dependents from the plan at this time, but must stay with the current plan election (e.g. Smart Choice Standard). If the employee is not currently participating, the employee may enroll themselves and any dependents by completing the online Enrollment below.
- Coverage is available either on the first of the first month following the status change date, or the first of the second month following the status change date. Premiums are deducted on a pre-tax basis and are deducted one month prior to the effective date of coverage. If necessary, the system will catch up the employee’s premium by deducting the needed amount from their first available paycheck. Depending on the requested start date and the current payroll schedule, there may be as much as two months’ premiums paid from one's paycheck so employees are encouraged to plan accordingly.
- Please note that Dental coverage is not provided through the State Health Plan. Employees who desire dental benefits should enroll in the NCFlex Dental plan.
- Disability coverage through the Disability Income Plan of North Carolina will begin after one year of contributions to the TSERS or ORP. Employees may visit www.MyNCRetirement.com for details.
- Liberty Mutual Supplemental Disability coverage is now available. This after-tax plan is designed to coordinate with the TSERS coverage, and is effective on the first of the second month following the status change. For coverage and premium information, see Disability Income Plans. To enroll, employees must complete the following Enrollment Application.
- The Standard Supplemental Disability plan is now available if you are an enrolled participant of the ORP. This after tax plan is designed to coordinate with the DIP coverage and is effective on the first of the second month following the status change. For coverage and premium information, visit Disability Income Plans. To enroll, employee must complete the online enrollment through Retirement Plan Enrollment System.
- The Retirement System provides a Death Benefit equal to one times the employee’s salary after one year of contributions. Employees may visit www.MyNCRetirement.com for details.
- Metropolitan Life Insurance coverage will remain in effect but will change according to the employee’s adjusted base, annual salary (e.g. 2 times the employee’s new salary). Premiums will change to reflect this change in coverage. Employees who are not currently enrolled may complete the forms online at http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits. MetLife will review this information and either approve or deny the enrollment.
- NC Flex benefits will remain the same. Employees may view their current elections by visiting eEnroll. Employees who are not currently enrolled will need to wait until the next NCFlex Annual Enrollment period to enroll. Waiting periods may apply.
- MetLaw Plan will remain the same. Employees who are not currently enrolled will need to wait until the next MetLaw Annual Enrollment period to enroll.
All completed forms should be mailed to Employee Benefits at the address below. The employee may contact the Benefits office by phone at 984-974-1100 or by e-mail if they have questions regarding benefits as they relate to this status change.
1025 Think Place, Suite 400
Morrisville, NC 27560
Please remember, any changes to these benefits must be initiated within 30 days of the status change.