All benefit eligible employees whose spouse gains or loses employment.
A change in a husband or wife’s employment allows an employee to make appropriate changes to his or her benefits. An employee may remove the spouse from any benefits that the spouse now receives through his or her new employment, or the employee may add the spouse to his or her benefits if the spouse is losing coverage. If the spouse’s employment change affects dependent children (if children were or will be covered under the spouse’s plan) the employee may add or remove the children from his or her benefits. The effective date of the change will be the first of the month following the change in employment.
Change to the Health Insurance & NCFlex Benefit Elections (Vision, Dental, etc)
- Changes must be initiated within 30 days of the spouse’s change in employment, but preferably as soon as possible. If the change increases your insurance premiums, catch-up deductions may apply.
- Employees can make the State Health Plan Changes online to add or remove their spouse and/or children from their policy. Click here for change instructions. The words “Change in Spouse Employment” and the Date the change occurred must be noted.
- If the employee is not currently enrolled in the State Health Plan, he or she may enroll by completing the State Health Plan Enrollment online.
- If the employee is adding dependents to his or her coverage or enrolling for the first time, he or she should also upload documentation for proof of dependents. Click here for dependent verification instructions.
- Please visit the Employee Benefits Web site for current rate information and bear in mind that Health Insurance premiums are collected one month in advance. Catch-up deductions may apply.
- Once completed, employees should print a Benefit Detail report for their records.
- Employees may call 1-855-859-0966 for assistance with the Web site.
Changes to MetLife Life Insurance
All benefit eligible employees who wish to enroll in, cancel, or make a change to their Metropolitan Life Group Term Life Insurance Policy should log in at: http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits.
Employees may enroll in, change, or cancel their MetLife Life Insurance policy at any time, for any reason. A Qualifying Life Event is not required as this is an after-tax plan.
All forms and instructions may be found online at: http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits.
Ben’s wife is employed with company XYZ, but her position is being terminated as of June 17. Ben is able to add her to his Health, Dental and/or Vision Insurance effective July 1.
Ben will complete and submit the State Health Plan and NCFlex Changes online to add her to the Health Insurance, Dental and Vision, making sure to click “Edit due to Life Change”.
Ben will have until July 16 to initiate the changes, but will submit them as quickly as he can to avoid delays and large premium adjustments. If Ben’s wife finds a new job, Ben will take the same actions to remove her from his policies.