All benefit eligible employees whose dependent gains or loses benefits eligibility due to Age, or Medicaid eligibility.
Dependent children are eligible for coverage under UNC Health Care’s various benefit offerings until the age of 26. If a covered dependent exceeds the maximum age it is the employee’s responsibility to remove the dependent from his or her benefit elections. Coverage for ineligible dependent will terminate on the last day of the month in which the child turns 26. The child will be eligible to continue coverage under COBRA; employees may contact COBRAGUARD for information at 877-679-7272.
A change in a dependent’s eligibility for Medicaid coverage allows an employee to make appropriate changes to his or her benefits. An employee may remove the dependents from Health, Dental and Vision coverage if they are now eligible for Medicaid, or add the dependents to his or her benefits if they are losing Medicaid coverage.
Change to the Health Insurance & NCFlex Benefit Elections (Vision, Dental, etc)
- Changes must be initiated within 30 days of the dependent’s change in eligibility, but preferably as soon as possible. If the change increases your insurance premiums, catch-up deductions may apply.
- Employees may use the State Health Plan Change online to add or remove their children from their policy. Click here for instructions. Select life event “Change in Spouse Employment” and enter Date the change occurred.
- If the employee is not currently enrolled in the State Health Plan, he or she may submit enrollment on the State Health Plan Enrollment online.
- If the employee is adding dependents to his or her coverage or enrolling for the first time, he or she should also upload documentation for proof of dependents. Click here for dependent verification instructions.
- Please visit the Employee Benefits Web site for current rate information and bear in mind that Health Insurance premiums are collected one month in advance. Catch-up deductions may apply.
- Once completed, employees should print a Benefit Summary Report for their records.
- Employees may call 1-888-860-6118 for assistance with the Web site.
Changes to MetLife Life Insurance
All benefit eligible employees who wish to enroll in, cancel, or make a change to their Metropolitan Life Group Term Life Insurance Policy should log in at: http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits.
Employees may enroll in, change, or cancel their MetLife Life Insurance policy at any time, for any reason. A Qualifying Life Event is not required as this is an after-tax plan.
All forms and instructions may be found online at: http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits.
Mary’s daughter is under age 26 and lost her job on January 16th. Mary is able to add her daughter to her Health, Dental and/or Vision insurance effective February 1st.
Mary should complete and submit the State Health Plan and NCFlex changes online to add her to the Health Insurance, Dental and Vision, making sure to click “Edit due to Life Change”.
Mary will have until February 15th
to initiate the changes, but should submit the changes as quickly as she can to avoid a delay and large premium adjustments. Mary must upload a copy of her daughter’s birth certificate within 30 days of the date of loss of coverage. If Mary’s daughter finds a new job, Mary will take same actions to remove her from her policies.