UNC Medical Center Volunteers
Each volunteer member assists in providing excellent care and understanding by taking the time to give patients and their families the extra help they need during their hospital stay. Give back to your community and donate your time, care and support and apply to our volunteer program today. Approval of all applicants is conditional upon background checks, which will be performed after the interview.
Requirements and Application Process
Applicants must be able to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis for 2-3 hours each week. We cannot accept incoming freshman college students as volunteers due to the large number of applicants we receive.
Required Time Commitment
All volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of a 9-month placement. If you are not available to volunteer consistently (including summer months) for the next nine months, we ask that you hold your application until you are available to fulfill this commitment.
Please review the following requirements of our volunteer registration process.
- Please choose one location to apply to: UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus or the UNC Medical Center. Then complete one of the online applications.
Once your application has been submitted, you will be provided a link to complete a prerequisite online compliance tests. You must complete the online prerequisite module before you can attend orientation.
- Familiarize yourself with our opportunities list. Please note, if you are a undergraduate student we ask that you commit to one placement for an academic year.
- Attend the orientation session
- Interview with your volunteer coordinator to discuss your volunteer placement
- Complete the immunization form
- Turn in all required paperwork
When the scores for the prerequisite test have been received, a volunteer coordinator will contact you regarding the next orientation session. All orientations are held from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. at N.C. Memorial Hospital.
The next orientation dates are:
When You'll Hear Back
An email will be sent immediately confirming receipt of your application. Please be sure to enter a valid email address and phone number with voicemail. We will contact you within two weeks upon receiving the results of your prerequisite test to confirm your registration for the next orientation. We ask that you apply when you are ready to begin volunteering, as we expect you to be available to begin volunteering thirty days after you apply. See General Questions for more information.
At UNC Medical Center, you will have the chance learn more about your community and the people living in it. See full list of volunteer opportunities.
We are fortunate to have a supportive volunteer community! At this time we have very limited placements available.
The following areas are completely closed:
- Pediatric Oncology
- Pediatric Playroom
- Pediatric Cuddler
- Pediatric Emergency Department
- Hem/Onc Infusion Clinic
We are currently recruiting for our off-site locations, Memorial Hospital nursing units, and Hillsborough Hospital.
Most Current Needs
- Various clinics at UNC Medical Center and off-site areas, including customer service, greeting, navigating and assisting with check-in.
- Working at the Gift Shop
- Serving with the tea cart in the Cancer Hospital
- Assisting the library with book processing and patient delivery
- Sewers are needed to make sock monkeys as well as gowns for the Infant Grief program
- Assisting in various waiting rooms
- Baking cookies (one or two Wednesdays a month, 1-3 p.m.)
- Serving dinner to visitors and caregivers (5-7 p.m.)