High School Volunteers
Each summer the High School Volunteer Program runs for a period of eight weeks. We offer volunteer positions for high school students at the UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill and at the UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus sites. Student volunteers will be impacted through meaningful experiences and gain valuable job skills right here in our community.
The UNC Medical Center offers exposure to a large academic hospital environment; the Hillsborough Campus maintains a community feel while having the same quality of providers and care. Both programs offer an excellent opportunity for students to discover new interests, meet new people and learn to be a leader while volunteering!
Some examples of volunteer areas include:
- Gift Shop
- Central Distribution
- Nursing Units
- Outpatient Clinics
- Medical Engineering
- Beacon Program
- Newspaper Delivery
Students are able to apply to one program; at UNC Medical Center or the UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus. Please read the requirements and information carefully as some details may differ according to the program location.
This program is open to students who are at least 14 years of age and have completed their freshman year of high school. Due to the intensive nature of our training process, applicants are accepted for the entire summer program; we are unable to offer short-term volunteering.
2016 Summer Junior Program Dates
June 20 - August 12
- High School applications are accepted January 4 - March 1;
Or until we receive our maximum of 300 applications, whichever comes first.
- Interviews and placements will be conducted April 1 to May 1
- Orientation will be held June 2 from 5 to 7 p.m. at N.C. Memorial Hospital and at UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus. (Depending on which site you apply to)
- In order to become a volunteer during the academic year, volunteers are required to work during a summer session first.
- Student volunteering during the academic year must be able to work immediately after school (by 4:30 p.m.) until 6 p.m.
- Summer volunteers should be available to work between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Volunteers work in two shifts, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 p.m., - 4 p.m. A majority of our volunteers will work both a morning and afternoon shift
- Applicants must be available one day a week (Monday-Friday) to volunteer. Limited weekend opportunities available.
- Summer volunteers must be able to commit to volunteering on their scheduled day for at least seven out of eight weeks during the summer session.
- Applicants will need to comply with the dress code which includes a purchase a volunteer polo shirt for $10 to wear with khaki pants.
- Applicants will need to attend a mandatory orientation session.
- Applicants must submit all required paperwork at orientation
Application Process and Required Forms
Applicants need to complete all of the following steps in order to volunteer at UNC Medical Center or at the UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus. Please note that the steps needed to become a volunteer are listed in the order that they must be completed.
- Make sure that you meet all of the requirements for High School Volunteers and read the UNC Medical Center Introduction Letter or the UNC Hillsborough Campus Introduction Letter.
- Complete Application and Questionnaire sheet online. One sentence per question is not sufficient. If all questions are not answered, your application will not be considered.
- You will be required to provide contact information for two professional or academic references in the online application. This means a teacher, counselor, employer, etc. Family members, neighbors, and family friends are not appropriate references. These references may be contacted in the spring to determine your placement in the program.
- After your application is received, you may be contacted for a personal interview by April or May. Unfortunately due to the volume of applicants we are unable to interview all candidates.
- If you are selected for an interview, please come prepared with what day(s) of the week you are available. Chapel Hill interviews are held at Volunteer Services, ground Floor, N.C. Memorial Hospital. UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus interviews are held at the 430 Waterstone Drive of Hillsborough in the Volunteer Services office on the ground Floor.
- Once you are selected to volunteer, complete your Immunization and Tuberculosis Review Form to be turned in at the volunteer orientation.
- Obtain a current TB Skin Test. It can be done at your local health department or family doctor. It takes 48 hours to read the results, so plan ahead. This must be complete prior to orientation.
- Complete parent permission form to turn in at orientation.
- Attend orientation and begin volunteering!
- How long is the registration process?
For the summer session: applications for new volunteers are accepted from early January to early March or until we receive our capacity of 300 applications, with rolling interviews in April/May, and orientation the beginning of June. Be sure to check the main page for High School Volunteers for deadline updates. Only returning summer volunteers are able to volunteer during the academic year.
- Can I mail in my application?
No. Your application must be completed online.
- What is this TB test that I need?
The TB test is required of all volunteers before they may begin volunteering. Once you are accepted into the program, you will need to get the test done and read (it will take 48 hours) and bring the results with you at orientation. You can also get the QuantiFERON TB Gold test. The TB test needs to be less than a year old as of the day you start.
- I have the BCG Vaccine; do I still need the TB test?
Yes, proof of BCG Vaccine is not sufficient. Applicants must have a TB test result less than a year old or a chest X-ray within the past few years.
Requirements and Process Questions
- I can’t make orientation, what I can do?
The dates are listed above so you can plan ahead and arrange your schedule to be there. It is imperative that you attend an orientation before you begin volunteering. It is a mandatory requirement of the Joint Commission of Healthcare Organizations.
- Does it cost anything to be a volunteer?
We ask that volunteers pay $10 to purchase the required uniform polo shirt to help defray the costs to the Medical Center.
- Is there a required uniform?
Yes. There is a required uniform polo shirt which you purchase in our office for $10. Additionally, Junior Volunteers must wear khaki pants or skirts longer than knee length and closed-toed shoes.
- What about training?
Before you begin your assignment, you'll receive training at orientation for general hospital protocols, safety, and infection control. Each area has a job description that outlines the duties and expectations. Once in your area you will be given further details about your job duties; some have a separate training and others are on-the-job.
- What are the interviews about? Does everyone get one? Why are they done?
This is a popular program, and there are limited spaces available. The interview gives us an opportunity to meet each other and for you to see the medical center environment. It might help you decide if this is the right place for you to volunteer, and we can be assured that we are accepting students who will be well-suited and committed to the program. Unfortunately, not everyone will be contacted for an interview due to the amount of applications we receive. If you don’t receive an interview or position, we encourage you to reapply the next summer.
- What if I don’t know my family vacation dates when I submit my summer application?
You need to make sure you are available for at least 7 weeks during the summer session. If you are planning a family vacation, trip to the beach, sports camp, etc. that will not allow you to meet your obligation, please apply to volunteer when you are able to make this commitment.
Questions about Opportunities
Forgot to Submit Your Hours? Off-site Volunteer?
In case you forgot to log your volunteer hours in at the Volunteer Services kiosk or you volunteer off-site, you may submit hours for the student volunteer program online.