If you would like to get your group involved in volunteering at the hospital, explore the available options UNC Medical Center's Volunteer Services has to offer. Please read the following requirements before completing an application. Our volunteer groups are invited to work in our Pediatric Play Atrium at the N.C. Children’s Hospital.
Check Available Times
We ask that a group leader view the calendar to find available dates for your event and allow at least two weeks for your application to be processed. Available times are listed as "Peds Playroom." Weekend Pediatric Playroom times are available to non-local groups only.
Prior to completing a volunteer application form, please make sure your group can comply with all of our requirements. As most of our groups are affiliated with UNC-CH, groups must complete new applications each fall school year.
We encourage each member of the volunteer group to carefully review all requirements of the group volunteer program.
- You will receive confirmation by email after your activity time and activity are approved.
- If you are interested in volunteering in the Pediatric Play Atrium, please visit the calendar to view the available dates and times.
- Six volunteers are accommodated for each shift at the Pediatric Play Atrium.
- We ask that individuals only volunteer once a semester
- Groups that do not bring a activity may not be allowed to stay during their shift
- Each group member must complete the following steps unless they are a UNC Employee or UNC Volunteer. Employees and Volunteers must have IDs.
- Complete the HIPAA Training. If you have any issues, please try using Internet Explorer. You will receive a confirmation email. Print this email.
- Print and sign a Group Activity Contract.
- Please bring your HIPAA Confirmation and Group Contract forms to the Play Atrium on the day you volunteer. These forms must be brought every time you volunteer.
- Volunteering in the Play Atrium requires a planned arts and crafts activity other than coloring books, board games or reading books.
- For ideas, check out these arts and crafts activities.
- Pediatric Play Atrium volunteers need to meet at the Children's Hospital Information Desk 15 minutes prior to their scheduled volunteer time to pick up a visitor's pass. We ask that the entire group remain throughout the planned activity.
- The group leader must complete the online application.
UNC Health Care Policy Rules
- Volunteers are not permitted to take photographs of any patient.
- Volunteers are not permitted to bring any type of food to patients.
- Volunteers must have graduated from high school and be at least eighteen years old.
- Volunteers are not allowed to plan activities that are religious in nature.