Financial Assistance Programs
It is the policy of UNC Health Care to provide medically necessary health care to the citizens of North Carolina, regardless of their ability to pay.
If you do not have insurance, or are concerned about paying for your medical bill, please call our Financial Assistance Unit Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 984-974-3425 or toll free at 866-704-5286.
Our Patient Financial Assistance program includes these components:
- Uninsured discount that allows any uninsured patient of any income level to receive a 40 percent discount for physician and hospital charges.
- Charity Care that allows a qualifying patient with an income at or below 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for the patient’s family size, to only be responsible for a copayment for eligible services.
- Catastrophic Charity Care that allows eligible patients who do not qualify for charity care and who have incurred significant hospital and physician costs to have their medical debt reduced to 20% of their yearly income.
We ask that each patient make a good faith effort by:
- discussing your financial status with a financial services representative.
- setting up a payment plan as appropriate
- seeking alternative methods of coverage
- completing an application for any possible financial assistance programs, including Medicaid.
Charity Care Program
The Charity Care Program insures that all eligible individuals receive medically necessary care at UNC Health Care regardless of their ability to pay. The program provides patients with relief of most financial obligation to UNC Health Care if the patient’s income falls at or below 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. A Charity Care copayment is required. Patients must complete an application to be qualified for assistance. A separate application is required for Pharmacy benefits.
If you feel you may qualify or have any questions about financial assistance that may be available to you, please see a financial services representative in the clinic or service locations or by calling the Financial Assistance Unit at 984-974-3425 or toll-free at 866-704-5286.
Uninsured Discount Program
The Discount extends a 40 percent discount for most self-pay patients' accounts and does not require an application. The Uninsured discount is automatically applied to all eligible services.
Pharmacy Assistance Policy
The UNC Pharmacy Assistance Program ensures that North Carolina residents who receive care at UNC Health Care, lack prescription benefits, and have income less than 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines are able to obtain necessary prescription medications.
All patients are asked to pay co-payments of at least $4 per prescription. Patients must request assistance through a Pharmacy Assistance Counselor at the UNC Outpatient Pharmacies and complete an application to be qualified for assistance.
Pharmacy Assistance Guidelines
- Requests for pharmacy assistance must be made to a Pharmacy Assistance Counselor at the UNC Outpatient Pharmacies.
- The Pharmacy Assistance Counselor will establish a 14-day temporary benefit for patients meeting screening criteria.
- Patients must complete a formal application for pharmacy assistance before exhausting the 14-day temporary benefit.
- An application for pharmacy assistance will be processed when all insurance benefits and/or financial aid from third party payors, state and federal assistance programs, charitable or endowment funds have been exhausted.
- Pharmacy assistance will be available only for prescription medications that are part of the UNC Health Care System drug formulary and in accordance with formulary requirements.
- The Pharmacy Assistance Counselor will render determination of eligibility in writing within 15 business days of receipt of a completed application.
- Patients denied pharmacy assistance may appeal the decision in writing to the Assistant Director of Pharmacy, Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Services, or by asking the Pharmacy Assistance Counselor for reconsideration of their application.
UNC Health Care remains committed to helping those in need, we reserve the right to adapt any policies and procedures as circumstances warrant. UNC Health Care Patient Financial Services will make the ultimate decision regarding the application of these policies and procedures.
Financial Assistance Policy
Financial Assistance Application