Administrative Internship Program
Thank you for your interest in UNC Health Care's Administrative Internship Program (AIP).
Through one or more core projects, weekly meetings with their mentor/manager, and participation in cross-functional educational experiences with the intern team, the Administrative Interns at UNC Health Care are exposed to a learning experience that is both broad-based and insular in nature; an ideal exposure to modern health care delivery practices.
Throughout the summer, Administrative Interns will gain familiarity with the operations of a major university teaching hospital through full exposure within departments of the hospital. Administrative Interns have opportunities to become subject matter experts in their project work by gathering data, learning job skills, and sharing their findings with a host of constituents across the UNC Health Care.
The internship program provides a challenging out-of-the classroom experience second to none.
About UNC Health Care
The UNC Health Care System is a not-for-profit integrated health care system, owned by the State of North Carolina and based in Chapel Hill. It exists to further the teaching mission of the University of North Carolina and to provide state-of-the-art patient care. Learn more
The following information will aid your application process:
The Administrative Internship Program (AIP) consists of 12 weeks of full time employment within UNC Health Care. With start dates in either May or early June, the paid internship creates an opportunity for the interns to be exposed to operations within a department in their area of interest. The intention of the AIP is to provide a formalized entry-level experience to both undergraduate and graduate students in preparation for their career and in pursuit of their interests. Our expectation is that participants will contribute not only to the projects and departments in which they work, but also to UNC Health Care as a whole.
In order to facilitate the continuity of the internship program over time, and to ensure the best experience possible for our interns, the AIP is coordinated by a program liaison from the Executive Office of UNC Hospitals with hiring assistance provided by the Employment Office of UNC Health Care.
- Exposure to a complex health care environment and a world-class teaching facility
- Involvement in work projects that affect the organization
- Communication with a dedicated mentor throughout the summer
- Participation in weekly “Learning Series” led by leaders from across the organization
- Completion of performance evaluations for both the mentor and the intern
- Opportunities to showcase experiences in an end-of-summer presentation
Past Projects and Areas of Emphasis Have Included:
- Process Improvement (both clinical and administrative)
- Profit/loss analysis and business line development
- Creation of business plans
- Site planning
- Clinical safety measurement and outcomes analysis
- Preparation of a Medicare cost report
- Creation and analysis of appointment access indicators
- Third-party reimbursement and contracting analysis
- Patient Relations – patient satisfaction analysis
What Past AIP Participants Said About Their Experience
"I was really impressed with the level of commitment and support given to the Interns - thanks!"
"Thanks for this great learning experience!"
"UNCH has truly been an environment where I have been able to grow. I have enjoyed all the projects and exposure, and will carry many things I have learned here into the future."
"I really enjoyed the Learning Series, and felt like meeting with all of the other interns on Friday really enhanced the internship experience. Not only did we get the chance to get to know each other and build relationships with others that we can use in our professional futures, but we got the chance to collaborate with each other, or ask other interns how they would handle certain situations, etc.”
The Administrative Internship Program at UNC Health Care aims to attract motivated young adults with an interest in exploring health care opportunities. The internship program usually appeals to individuals with a proven ability to work independently and follow projects through to completion.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate level degree program and have completed at least one semester of classes, or have recently completed such a program.
- Applicants must be legally eligible for employment in the United States.
- Applicant generally must have a minimum 3.0 GPA, although exceptions are made based upon qualifications and experience.
Past majors represented in the program have included public health, business, the sciences, health administration, information technology, social work, statistics, and human resources. Any other degree with some professional interest in health care is eligible for the program.
Selected applicants will complete a background and criminal history check, drug screening, and hospital orientation as part of the pre-employment process required by UNC Health Care policy.
Application for Students
Applications for 2015 Summer Interns will be open from December 7, 2015 through January 15, 2016. The online portion of the application will open on December 7th and can be found through “Careers at UNC Health Care.”
In addition, please complete and return this cover sheet along with your resume and cover letter to:
UNC Hospitals Executive Office
Attention: UNC Hospitals Administrative Internship Program
C/O Charnae Rogers
101 Manning Drive
Campus Box 7600
Medical School Wing E
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-7600
Additional questions about the application process should be emailed to Administrative.Fellow@unchealth.unc.edu and the current administrative fellows will respond to your questions promptly.
Application for Managers (intranet access only)
Managers, please click here for more information about the program and to apply.