Arthritis, autoimmune diseases, and other conditions of the muscles, joints and bone can be painful and prevent you from living life to the fullest. UNC Medical Center’s Rheumatology clinic can help relieve your discomfort by pinpointing your symptoms’ causes and finding solutions for pain and inflammation.
Easing Pain and Improving Joints
Arthritis and autoimmune diseases may cause muscle stiffness and aching joints, leaving you with physical limitations. At UNC Medical Center's Rheumatology Specialty Clinic, we know staying active is essential for your health and wellness. Our caring physicians make it their priority to establish an accurate diagnosis, educate you about your condition and get you back to work and the activities you love.
Comprehensive Care from a Multidisciplinary Team
You can benefit from our highly trained specialists in Rheumatology. Our board-certified medical professionals are knowledgeable in all aspects of arthritis and autoimmunity and we are committed to providing each patient with the highest quality of care. We work closely with our colleagues throughout the Medical Center to coordinate comprehensive care for patients with arthritis and autoimmune diseases. Our clinic has on-site radiology, including bone density testing and laboratory services. Other specialized services include:
- UNC Rheumatology Lupus Clinic, a specialized multidisciplinary clinic for patients with lupus and related disorders; directed by Dr. Saira Sheikh and Dr. Jennifer Rogers and Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome expert, Dr. Robert Roubey.
- UNC Rheumatology Latino Clinic – As part of the UNC Center for Latino Health (CeLaH), this clinic provides all services in Spanish and is directed by Dr. Alfredo Rivadeneira.
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Clinic – Provides diagnostic ultrasound and ultrasound-guided arthrocenthesis using state of the art technology. This clinic is directed by Dr. Amanda Nelson who is certified in musculoskeletal ultrasound by the American College of Rheumatology.
- On-site Infusion Center for treatment with state of the art biologic therapies
- Clinical trials of new agents for the treatment of arthritis and autoimmune disorders led by Drs. Sheikh and Rogers.
Our Treatments and Services
At UNC Medical Center's Rheumatology Specialty Clinic, you’ll work with a team of physicians who are specially trained in Rheumatology. Our team is dedicated to treating arthritis, autoimmune disorders and other musculoskeletal diseases by focusing on safe and effective ways to help you manage your disease. We work with you to find ways to relieve pain, control your disease, prevent joint damage, and maximize your quality of life. Conditions we treat include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Reactive arthritis
- Enteropathic arthritis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Inflammatory myopathies
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
- And more