Volunteering with UNC Hospice
If you desire to make a difference, touch a life, learn while helping others, or just to have fun, UNC Hospice is the perfect place to volunteer your time and talents.
How Can I Become a Volunteer?
Our mission is to assist the hospital in its goals to provide excellent support to the communities we serve and give a meaningful outlet for the human need to be of service to others. To best fit your interests, we offer a variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Complete an application
- After you've submitted an application, you will be contacted by the volunteer coordinator to continue the application process.
- Submit two written references
- Criminal, motor vehicle and sexual predator background check
- Complete the Confidentiality, HIPPA, and Safety Training (web based)
- Completion of volunteer training (orientation)
- Every volunteer goes through orientation which is 14 hours of classroom and 1 hour web-based training. You will receive training specific to his or her area from his or her liaison.
- Before you begin your assignment, you'll receive training at orientation for general hospital protocols, safety, and infection control.
- Each area has a job description that outlines the duties and expectations. Once in your area, you will be given further details about your job duties; some have a separate training and others are on-the-job.
- Complete updated immunizations form
- After orientation, we will work with you to make sure you have received everything necessary. We provide the required immunizations free of charge.
- All volunteers are required to commit to a minimum 12 hours a year.
- Volunteers are asked to follow a dress code which includes attire that is not revealing. ID badges must be worn at all times, above the waist.
- If you are grieving a loss, you may be deferred from direct patient assignments for a period of one year.