All benefit eligible employees whose dependents change due to Birth, Adoption or Death.
A birth, adoption, or death allows an employee to make appropriate changes to his or her benefits. An employee may add or remove dependents from benefits as appropriate. When adding new family members to the Health Insurance, coverage must be effective on the 1st of the month in which the child is born or adopted for the child to have coverage since birth or adoption. Note that when adding a dependent due to birth or adoption other dependents (other children or spouse) may be added at the same time.
Changes must be initiated within 30 days of the dependent’s change in eligibility, but preferably as soon as possible. If the change increases your insurance premiums, catch-up deductions may apply. All forms may be found online.
Change to the Health Insurance & NCFlex Benefit Elections (Vision, Dental, etc)
- Changes must be initiated within 30 days of the dependent’s change in eligibility, but preferably as soon as possible. If the change increases your insurance premiums, catch-up deductions may apply.
- Employees may use the State Health Plan Change online to add or remove their children from their policy. Click here for instructions. Select life event “Change in Spouse Employment” and enter Date the change occurred.
- If the employee is not currently enrolled in the State Health Plan, he or she may submit enrollment on the State Health Plan Enrollment online.
- If the employee is adding dependents to his or her coverage or enrolling for the first time, he or she should also upload documentation for proof of dependents. Click here for dependent verification instructions.
- Please visit the Employee Benefits Web site for current rate information and bear in mind that Health Insurance premiums are collected one month in advance. Catch-up deductions may apply.
- Once completed, employees should print a Benefit Summary Report for their records.
- Employees may call 1-888-860-6118 for assistance with the Web site.
Changes to MetLife Life Insurance
All benefit eligible employees who wish to enroll in, cancel, or make a change to their Metropolitan Life Group Term Life Insurance Policy should log in at: http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits.
Employees may enroll in, change, or cancel their MetLife Life Insurance policy at any time, for any reason. A Qualifying Life Event is not required as this is an after-tax plan.
All forms and instructions may be found online at: http://www.metlife.com/mybenefits.
Mary has given birth to a baby girl on May 17. Mary may add her baby to her Health Insurance effective May 1; Dental and/or Vision insurance effective June 1.
Mary will complete and submit the State Health Plan and NCFlex changes online to add her baby to the Health Insurance, Dental and Vision, making sure to click "Edit due to Life Change".
Mary will have until June 16 to initiate the changes, but should submit the changes as quickly as she can to avoid a delay in coverage and large premium adjustments. Mary must upload dependent documentation within 30 days of the birth; otherwise baby will be dropped from coverage if documentation is not received.
Employees may wish to update their beneficiary designations; please review the Beneficiary Change Guide for instructions.