Employee Parking Information
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill owns and operates the parking lots used by UNC Medical Center's patients, visitors and employees. Each year, the University allocates a certain amount of parking spaces to medical center employees. Those employees who do not receive parking spaces are placed on a waitlist, which is organized based on years of service.
Because of the limited availability of parking spaces, employees are encouraged to use the various Park and Ride lots located near UNC Medical Center. Chapel Hill Transit also offers fare-free busing to UNC Medical Center on a number of routes.
For questions and concerns regarding transportation and parking, please call UNC Transportation & Parking during regular business hours at 919 962 - 3951.
Note: The Dogwood Deck is reserved for patients and visitors only and should not be used by employees during the day. If you arrive to work and find your assigned parking zone full, please call 919-962-8006.
Chapel Hill Transit offers fare-free busing to the UNC Medical Center on many of its routes. Routes also serve the Family Medicine Center and the ACC. Full schedule and route information.
The Triangle Transit Authority also offers multiple bus routes to the UNC Medical Center from surrounding cities like Raleigh, Durham, Apex, Garner and Hillsborough. Full schedule and route information.
Overnight Shuttle Services
We understand that many of our employees' schedules require them to arrive or leave work in the early morning or late night hours. We offer multiple transportation options to ensure a safe trip.
- Early Morning Shuttles: Bus service from the Hedrick Park and Ride lot is available at 4:45 a.m., 5:50 a.m., and 6:25 a.m. Shuttles also run from the S-11 parking lot between 2:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Note that these shuttles do not run on the weekends or holidays.
- S-11 Evening Bus: A bus shuttle service is offered from the hospital to the S-11 parking in the late afternoon and evening. The bus departs the Valet Lane at 2:45 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 4:15 p.m., and 4:45 p.m. After 4:45 p.m., the bus departs as needed from the UNC Children's Hospital up until 8:30 p.m.
- Evening Shuttles: An evening shuttle van service operating between 5:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. is offered for employees, patients and visitors. Shuttle service is available every day, including weekends and holidays. The shuttle, which departs from the UNC Children's Hospital, serves all Park and Ride Lots (after Chapel Hill Transit service ceases for the evening) and Medical Center parking lots and decks.
We also offer an overnight shuttle service for employees, patients and visitors that operates from 1:30 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. Shuttle service is available every day, including weekends and holidays. The shuttle, which departs from the UNC Children's Hospital, serves all Park and Ride Lots (after Chapel Hill Transit service ceases for the evening) and Medical Center parking lots and decks.The shuttle is stationed outside of the Emergency Department. If you need the shuttle service but are located in another part of the Medical Center, Hospital Police can contact it for you.
There are multiple options available for Medical Center employees who need an emergency ride back to their car.
- Medical Center employees can receive an emergency ride back to the Eubanks, Southern Village, Carrboro Plaza, Jones Ferry or Friday Center Park and Ride Lots and all campus employee lots by calling 919-966-3111 or 919-966-9309.
- CAP participants should call 919-962-7867 and a P2P Van will be dispatched to get you where you need to go.
- Employees parking at the Pittsboro Lowe's Park and Ride should call 919-969-4900.
- Triangle Transit riders should call 919-485-7433
- Employees who participate in P.A.R.T Rideshare should call 336-883-7278.